top of page
  • Writer's pictureSarah Whiteford

IMO honors acts of bravery, Subsea 7 and OHT renewables combine, real world CO2 scrubber successful

It’s Good News Monday!

This Monday we talk about:

  1. IMO honours emergency responders and seafarers for acts of bravery

  2. Subsea 7 and OHT to Combine Renewables Businesses, Creating Offshore Wind Giant

  3. Remote-control rescue vessel interests trio of leading developers

  4. Jan De Nul Orders Hi-Tech Pile Gripper for its Les Alizés Installation Vessel

  5. Herman Sr welcomes first hybrid propulsion DP2 vessel

  6. Japanese project captures CO2 on board vessel with scrubber

IMO Bravery at Sea awards

“IMO award for exceptional bravery at sea (source: IMO). Image from Riviera.

“IMO has commemorated maritime emergency responders and seafarers for acts of bravery during Maritime Safety Week.” Tran Van Khoi, a Vietnamese search and rescue officer (SAR), received the top award for saving four people from a sunken vessel in October 2020. Eight others received certificates of commendation and six more will receive letters of commendation. Check out the original article for the story of Mr. Khoi and the complete list of commendation recipients.

WTIV at wind turbine on the ocean

Photo courtesy Subsea 7”. Image from gCaptain.

OHT and Subsea 7 are combining to form a renewables company focused on offshore wind. The new name will be Seaway 7 ASA, and will be headquartered in Oslo, Norway. “It will initially retain OHT’s listing on Oslo’s Euronext Growth market with plans for future listing on Oslo Børs.” Subsea 7 will own 72% and OHT shareholders will own the remaining 28%. It will have about 600 employees, 10 vessels, and two more vessels under construction.

Zelim's rescue craft prototype model

“Zelim’s remote-controlled rescue vessel has attracted funding from industry bodies and support from leading offshore wind developers”. Image from Riviera.

Zelim’s new rescue craft will be substation deployed and remotely operated, the first of its kind to save lives at sea. The UK government has already backed the project to the tune of £3.00M, or US$4.15M. The vessel would be uncrewed, and once in the water would use sensors to locate people. A conveyor recovery system uses one conveyor to lift the person out of the water and another to bring them into the vessel. The ship can then meet a search and rescue helicopter or continue to shore. Trials could take place at the end of 2022.

Les Alizes with large crane installing monopiles on the ocean

“Credit: Jan De Nul”. Image from Offshore Engineer.

Jan De Nul Group’s new floating installation vessel Les Alizés will be receiving an advanced electrical Motion-Compensated Pile Gripper. Imeca is making the custom gripper that will have an X-Laboratory guidance and survey system for precise monopile installation. “Once delivered, Les Alizés will allow for the installation of very large components including jackets exceeding 4,500 mt, and heights in excess of 100 meters, and monopiles weighing over 3,000 mt and an outer diameter exceeding 12 meters.” The delivery is expected to happen in H2 2022.

Brutus tug on the ocean.

“Brutus was built by Damen to a Shoalbuster 3514 SD design (source: Damen)”. Image from Riviera.

Herman Sr and Damen Shipyards has named its new dynamically positioned tug Brutus. It’s a Damen Shoalbuster 3514 SD design with green hybrid propulsion. It works in ultra-shallow waters and has 60 tons of bollard pull. “Damen Hardinxveld director Jos van Woerkum explained the green propulsion credentials of Brutus. ‘This is the first diesel-electric Shoalbuster with hybrid propulsion in the range, with a shallow draught, DP2 and compliant with the latest IMO Tier III requirements, following installation of a treatment system to reduce its emissions,’ he said.” The new tug has a 600 x 800 mm moonpool and 12 cabins for a total of up to 20 personnel.

Large CO2 air scrubber on board a vessel

“A modified Alfa Laval PureSOx scrubber system was able to absorb CO2 from a newbuild vessel's auxiliary diesel engines in port, while operating in closed loop mode (source: Alfa Laval)”. Image from Riviera.

Utilizing an Alfa Laval scrubber in a real-world trial, Japan’s National Maritime Research Institute (NMRI) captured onboard carbon emissions. The Alfa Laval PureSOx scrubber absorbed CO2 emissions while operating in closed loop mode in port. Carbon capture could reduce shipping emissions up to 90% by 2028, according to Japanese research. “The implications of that amount of emissions reduction as owners and operators look to comply with short-term measures for a vessel’s Energy Efficiency Index (EEXI) and Carbon Intensity Index (CII) are clear, and CCS could represent a giant leap forward towards achieving IMO’s 2050 decarbonisation goals.”

Smile, it’s Good News Monday! :-)


bottom of page